Sunday, May 06, 2007

My First Minor Surgery aka the "Tuli" Experience

May 06, 2007

FILCHIMSA had it's Medical and Surgical Mission with the Knights of Columbus in San Lorenzo Ruiz Academy. It was a very exciting day since we will be doing minor surgery which was mainly circumcision! :D

Me and mic was first assigned to the Medical section. First time to do history taking and more or less "diagnose" the complaints of the patients. We were even allowed to prescribe medicines. Basta for minor complications lang like colds, coughs, sore eyes, headaches, pero pag medyo malala may doctor naman dun na pwede namin i-refer to. Parang crash course for pharmaco, dun lang ako natuto magsulat ng prescription, how many tablets and explain to the patient when to take the medicine. After the medical part, we were then assigned sa surgical section. Assist muna, then the doctor taught the procedure while he is doing it. At first, I got a little scared, parang ayaw kong gawin. But still I was able to do the procedure. Naghati kami nung isang Filchimsa member sa isang patient. She did the anesthesia part, then I did the main procedure which was "cutting" the prepuce, and stitching the first half, she did the last half naman. After that I wished may isa pang patient, I was more confident after doing the first one :D

Mic and I took the pic in my room hahaha We were not able to take pictures of ourselves during the mission hahaha :D

No comments: