Saturday, March 31, 2007

Med students like to complain? :P

Another blog entry from Medscape: Is Your Med School Perfect?
Kendra Campbell -- I’ve noticed on campus that I frequently hear people complaining about one thing or another related to our med school. People complain about things like the staplers not be refilled quickly enough, the cadavers not being taken care of properly, professors not writing fair questions, and there being too many students on campus. It seems like some students are always complaining about something. In addition, it appears that no matter what the complaint actually is, many students always end their rant with, “well, what can you expect from a Caribbean school?” or “well it is Ross University.” Why are some people always unhappy about something? And why do they blame it on the school, even when it’s something like other students not taking care of the cadavers?

Personally, I rarely complain about anything. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve definitely had my complaints here and there, but in general, I don’t really think there are that many problems here. And more importantly, when there is a problem, I don’t necessarily see it as the fault of the school, nor do I blame it on the fact that this is a Caribbean medical school. I mean, if someone doesn’t refill the staplers the second they’re empty, does that really reflect poorly on the school? Sure, there are some issues that are definitely in the school’s purview, but isn’t that a part of life? If I walked into an Ivy League medical school right now, would I find all the staplers filled to the brim, the cadavers in impeccable condition, and every professor perfectly designing test questions and without any faults? Somehow, this seems very unlikely to me.

Obviously, my school has its faults, but I don’t see any good reason to randomly complain about it all the time. If there really are important issues, they should be properly brought to the attention of the administration. And does it really make sense to automatically blame everything on the fact that our med school happens to be Caribbean?

I was talking to a student the other day, and she had previously attended one of the top medical schools in the U.S. She had to leave because of personal reasons, and she ended up deciding to come here to finish her medical education. She was telling me how our campus is absolutely amazing compared to the U.S. school, and that we are way more technologically advanced. I think a big problem with the complainers is that they have never actually been to another med school, so they don’t really have anything to compare it to. Is it possible that the dissecting tables are just always shinier on the other side of the campus wall?

I’d love to hear from all of you on this topic -- whether you attend a top-rated med school, or one that’s not very well known. Does your med school have a lot of problems? Do students frequently complain about one thing or another? And do they always blame it on the school, no matter the true cause? Or does your med school happen to be perfect?


__
Quite true, I guess it is inherent to every student to complain. We almost complain about everything. Lahat napapansin natin, mga questions na binibigay sa exams, pati mga pagkain sa canteen pinupuna.
So what do I complain about our medschool? Nothing much really, only some profs who doesn't teach well. Oh yeah, I really hate it when we take exams in the Anatomy lab.. The smell is bothering during the exams, it's hard to concentrate. I guess un lang. My other complaints doesn't really affect the whole student body anyway. hehe

maybe fewer exams? :P hhaha

No comments: